1. Collection of Personal Data: From time to time, it is necessary for the Association to collect personal data in connection with its activities from its members, officials, officers and employees (“Data”).
In this circular, the term “Relevant Person” means members, officials, officers and employees.
2. Purposes of Collection:
(i) The purposes for which personal data are divided into obligatory
purposes and voluntary purposes. If Data are to be used for an obligatory purpose, the Relevant Person MUST provide his/her Data to the Association if he/she wants the Association to admit a person to membership or appoint a person to act in any official capacity or to be employed by the Association. Failure to supply such Data may result in the Association being unable to admit a person to membership, to appoint a person to act in any official capacity or to employ a person.
(ii) If personal data are only to be used for a voluntary purpose, the Relevant Person can tell the Association not to use Data for that purpose and the Association will not do so.
(iii) Purposes for which it is obligatory for the Relevant Persons to provide Data are as follows:
(a) the daily operation of the Association;
(b) employment purposes including payroll, mandatory provident fund schemes, promotion, assessment or termination;
(c) membership registration, correspondence with Relevant Persons or other related purposes;
(d) official registration, recording of information relating to qualifications of officials and officers and officers assessments;
(e) providing news to members, officials and officers regarding events and activities organized by the Association through any of its divisions;
(f) providing notices to members of activities, training courses, interest groups, classes, workshops, gatherings, exchange programmes, tours, trips, excursions, meetings, forums, conferences, and campsites and other activities;
(g) providing newsletters, reports, promotional pamphlets, periodicals or
other documentation issued by the Association or other organizations or government departments;
(h) providing invitations to attend programmes and activities or join in competitions/nominations which are organized by other organizations or government departments;
(i) purposes directly relating to the purposes listed above.
3. Transferring of Data to Other Persons: The Association may provide your personal data to any other persons whether or not such persons are members of the Association and/or any other persons who need to use your personal data for operational purposes or any other purposes related to Guiding. These persons include:
(i) Staff of Sponsoring Authorities including schools and welfare agencies which sponsor the Association or its activities;
(ii) Members of different Working Committees and Organizing Committees set up by the Association for the purposes of advising and assisting in the operations of the Association; and
(iii) members of Regional Associations or District Associations established to support and take an interest in local units;
(iv) in relation to office bearers of the Association, to banks for the purpose of bank account opening in respect of the operation of Guiding units.
4. Direct marketing: The Association wishes to use the Data for direct marketing in the manner provided in this paragraph – permission to use Data for this purpose is voluntary only. The Association must obtain a written consent (which can include an indication of no objection) if it is to use Data for this purpose.
In this connection:
(i) the name, phone number (mobile or residential), address (office and residential), email address, SMS (Short Message Service), fax number (office and residential) of a Relevant Person held by the Association from time to time may be used by the Association for direct marketing;
(ii) the following classes of services, products and subjects may be marketed:
(a) solicitation of donations to the Association;
(b) sale of goods namely souvenirs, uniforms, publications, emblems, handbooks, interest badges, outing goods, flags, CDs, and DVDs.;
(c) participation in paid events other than in respect of guiding activities.
To indicate consent / no consent to the use / provision of his/her personal data for direct marketing, a Relevant Person is required to fill out an "Opt-out Request – Use/Provision of Personal Data in Direct Marketing" attached to this Notice ("Request Form").
If a Relevant Person does not wish the Association to use his/her Data for use in direct marketing as described above, he/she may say so in the Request Form or notify the Association of the same at any other time.
5. Right of Access and Correction: Under and in accordance with the terms of the Ordinance, any individual has the following rights:
(i) to check whether the Association holds Data about him/her and the right of access to such data;
(ii) to require the Association to correct any Data relating to him/her which are inaccurate; and
(iii) to ascertain the Association’s policies and practices in relation to Data and
to be informed of the kind of personal data held by the Association.
In accordance with the terms of the Ordinance, the Association has the right to charge a reasonable fee for the processing of any data access or correction request.
6. Retention of Personal Data and Related Records
According to the Data Protection Principle 2(2) of the Ordinance, the Association is required to take all practical steps to ensure that personal data is not kept longer than is necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose for which it is to be used. In order to comply with this requirement, the Association will erase the personal data and related records for a Guide / Guide official / member / volunteer in accordance with the following schedule:-
(i) eighteen months after a Guide / Guide Official / member / volunteer has resigned;
(ii) once a Guide / Guide Official / member / volunteer has reached the age of 18 years of age and has ceased to participate in activities of the Association for a period of eighteen months.
A Guide/Guide official/member/volunteer may prior to the scheduled erasure date referred to above make a written request to the Association requiring it retain his/her personal data until he/she gives 30 days’ notice in writing to the Association requesting it to erase his/her personal data.
7. Data Protection Officer: For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 5 above, the person to whom (i) consents, objections and opt-outs in relation to the use or provision of personal data for direct marketing and (ii) requests for access to data or correction of data or for information regarding policies and practices and kinds of data held, are to be addressed is as follows:
The Data Protection Officer
The Hong Kong Girl Guides Association
8 Gascoigne Road
Kowloon Hong Kong
Telephone : [2332 5523]
Fax : [2428 7787]
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Nothing in this Circular shall limit the rights of the Relevant Persons under the Ordinance.
If there is any inconsistency or conflicts between English and Chinese version, the English version will prevail.