Circular ("Circular") Relating to the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the "Ordinance")
1. Collection of Personal Data: From time to time, it is necessary for the Association to collect personal data in connection with its activities from its members (“Data”).
2. Purposes of Collection: Purposes for which Data are used are as follows:
(i) the daily operation of the Association;
(ii) membership registration, correspondence with members or other related purposes;
(iii) providing news to members regarding events and activities organized by the Association through any of its divisions;
(iv) providing notices to members of activities, training courses, interest groups, classes, workshops, gatherings, exchange programmes, tours, trips, excursions, meetings, forums, conferences and campsites and other activities;
(v) providing newsletters, reports, promotional pamphlets, periodicals, or other documentation issued by the Association or other organizations or government departments;
(vi) providing information or invitations to attend programmes and activities or join in competitions which are organised by other organizations or government departments;
(vii) purposes directly relating to the purposes listed above.
Failure to supply Data may result in the Association being unable to admit a person to membership.
3. Transferring of Data to Other Persons: The Association may provide your personal data to any other persons whether or not such persons are members of the Association and/or any other persons who need to use your personal data for operational purposes or any other purposes related to Guiding. These persons include:
(i) Staff of Sponsoring Authorities including schools and welfare agencies which sponsor the Association or its activities;
(ii) Members of different Working Committees and Organizing Committees set up by the Association for the purposes of advising and assisting in the operations of the Association; and
(iii) members of Regional Associations or District Associations established to support and take an interest in local units.
4. Right of Access and Correction: Under and in accordance with the terms of the Ordinance, any individual has the following rights:
(i) to check whether the Association holds Data about him/her and the right of access to such data;
(ii) to require the Association to correct any Data relating to him/her which are inaccurate; and
(iii) to ascertain the Association’s policies and practices in relation to Data and to be informed of the kind of personal data held by the Association.
In accordance with the terms of the Ordinance, the Association has the right to charge a reasonable fee for the processing of any data access or correction request.
5. Retention of Personal Data and Related Records (Added May 2015)
According to the Data Protection Principle 2(2) of the Ordinance, the Association is required to take all practical steps to ensure that personal data is not kept longer than is necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose for which it is to be used. In order to comply with this requirement, the Association will erase the personal data and related records for a Guide / Guide official / member / volunteer in accordance with the following schedule:-
(i) eighteen months after a Guide / Guide Official / member / volunteer has resigned;
(ii) once a Guide / Guide Official / member / volunteer has reached the age of 18 years of age and has ceased to participate in activities of the Association for a period of eighteen months.
A Guide/Guide official/member/volunteer may prior to the scheduled erasure date referred to above make a written request to the Association requiring it retain his/her personal data until he/she gives 30 days’ notice in writing to the Association requesting it to erase his/her personal data.
6. Data Protection Officer: For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 4 above, the person to whom requests for access to data or correction of data or for information regarding policies and practices and kinds of data held, are to be addressed is as follows:
The Data Protection Officer
The Hong Kong Girl Guides Association
8 Gascoigne Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Telephone : [2332 5523]
Fax : [2428 7787]
7. Nothing in this Circular shall limit the rights of the members under the Ordinance.
If there is any inconsistency or conflicts between English and Chinese version, the English version will prevail.
I have carefully read and I fully understand the terms set out in this Circular and agree with these terms unless otherwise specified above.