APPLICATION | Home Workspace Program 2018-19
Application deadline: March 5, 2018
Ashkal Alwan is pleased to announce the open call for applications to participate in the eighth edition of Home Workspace Program, taking place in Beirut from October 8, 2018, through July 22, 2019.
HWP is a 10-month study program that enrolls 10-15 fellows every year. The program is open to artists and writers aiming to develop their formal, theoretical and critical skills. Each fellow is granted a merit-based scholarship and a shared studio space. Some of the program’s lectures, seminars, and workshops are open free of charge to non-enrolled participants.
The 2018-19 program consists of three primary components: Preface, Workshops, and Seminars, with ongoing support provided by a Resident Advisor. Invited guests for the year include: Lawrence Abu Hamdan, Mirene Arsanios, Celine Condorelli, Yasmine Eid-Sabbagh, Iman Issa, Maha Maamoun, Suhail Malik, Joe Namy, Walid Raad, Walid Sadek, Rayyane Tabet, Jalal Toufic, and Akram Zaatari, among others.
For 2018-2019, fellows are selected through an open call. Candidates are considered on merit, as well as on their application’s, as well as on their application’s relevance to the mission and context of HWP.
The Admissions Committee selects an initial shortlist of candidates for interviews. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for a Skype interview on short notice. Selected fellows are notified by April 30, 2018.
The admissions committee selects an initial shortlist of candidates for interviews until a final list of 10 to 15 candidates is reached. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for a Skype interview on short notice.
• Writers and Artists working in any genre or medium.
• Former fellows are not eligible.
• Undergraduate arts-related degree, or equivalent experience.
• Applicants must commit full-time to HWP’s assigned schedule. External engagements must be kept at an absolute minimum and should not interfere with the fellows’ attendance and participation in the program.
• While applicants from Lebanon and the Arab region are especially encouraged to apply, HWP is open to applicants from all countries.
• Due to the international scope of HWP’s professors and fellows, the program’s language is English. If necessary, fellows are advised to take an English language course prior to the start of / or during the program.
• Collectives and other collaborating artists should submit separate applications, and will be considered independently from one another.
TUITION & FINANCIAL AID
• HWP tuition is free; every fellow admitted to the program is granted a merit-based scholarship.
• Fellows are expected to secure additional funding to cover their living and production costs.
• A limited number of financial support grants are available on a need basis.
We will confirm the receipt of all applications. If you do not hear from us within a week of sending your application, please contact us.
Please fill in your complete application and click "Submit" at the bottom of this page.
For questions or assistance, feel free to contact us:
Tel. +961 1 423879
Office Hours: Monday – Friday | 10.30am-6.30pm